Sunday 20 November 2011

Hand Sculpt

This week is focusing on one of the hardest areas of the body in my eyes. The hands! Yes they are a sculpt on their own, so this week I have sculpted my own hand in a claw type pose. I wanted a test but not enough where I would struggle as this is a learning process and the hand is a challenge without having some twisted crazy pose. First image shows the base mesh where I have started to block out general forms that will be in the hand in what ever pose I have. Also the proportions were off so I wanted to improve on that straight away but these are likely to change as I get posing. The hand proportions are quite strange and I have indicated in red the geral proportions of the hand. The first menecarple is half way up te finger and the second is around about a half of that. I also in blue I have labelled where I am already think about my tenders going down my arms.
This next images shows where I have gotten the my hand in its pose and started getting into the battle of forms. I have struggled abit to try capture the right forms, sometimes it looks really flat but at other angles things seem to stand out and look unnatural. First blue arrow clearly shows that not all fingers are even started. The area circled by yellow shows a finger that needs to be proportioned and correcting as the shape is off completely. The areas in red are areas I have been trying to get their placement right. I've placed the tendens coming up my arm and attaching to the thumb. This placement will effect the whole back of the hand. Also my battle with nail placements and again some of the muscles of the hands that create some of the major deformation of the hand.
Third image show more development into the sculpt. The areas in red are meant to highlight the idea of over modeling and areas that I want to tone down alittle bit and try pay attention to the plane changes they create the pose. In green shows an area that I think is working well. The little finger has alot of movement compared to the other fingers so when the finger is flexed forward it will cause this change in shape and I believe I have captured that.



Final images show where I left this sculpt, for now. I have Labbled one of the images 1-4 to try highlight areas that I think I am going right. 1: shows the bones that when the hand is slightly closed press against the surface and created this type of plane change same again image 3. Image 4 shows how I have had to try make sure I get the correct plane changes when there is muscle or bone or sking being pressed, red shows the tendon that runs down my arm, blue which is one of the key muscles of the hand. Finally green is a plane change that is caused by the pose. I have really enjoyed this week, it's teaching me practice really is the key and I plan to keep doing these exercises only concentrating on one thing at a time to perfect my knowledge of the forms!








No comments:

Post a Comment